Thursday, May 26, 2016

I have witnessed the Apocalypse and man was it fun!

I have been a X-Men fan since I was a little lad growing up on the 90's cartoon.Between that and the comics I spent a great deal of time with them in the 90's and onward. When it came to the movies there were misses but what you can say is what it did for the super hero genre in film. We finally got the material taken seriously and for the time they were great. You go back now and look at the originals and they might not hold up the best but they are still OK and definitely watchable for the most part. Yea we all know the failures that are X3 and X Men Origins Wolverine but since first class the X movies have been quite good. I would say this new trilogy is much better than the first even though it had to correct X3.









  So how was the sixth installment in the maim X-men films? It is not without its issues but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was a bit chaotic with the story telling at times but it was unquestionably action filled and fun. If you liked the past two films I would definitely recommend you see this one. The returning actors do a fantastic job as we have come to expect from them and the new cast was great as well. From the new cast I think Sophie Turner did a fantastic job and it was very odd to hear her with an american accent after hearing her on Game of Thrones for so long. I really thought I was not going to like her as I do not care for her on Game of Thrones. Kodi Smit-McPhee did a great job of mimicking the Kurt we know from X2 and still making it his own. Tye Sheridan actually made me like Cyclops , I was always a Wolverine guy. But I do not want to give too much away so that is all I will say for the non spoiler part of the review. DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU CARE ABOUT SPOILERS

  


  On to what I thought of the movie SPOILERS and all. My major criticism of the movie would be that the horseman aside from Magneto do not have much of a motivation , even Apocalypse himself is a bit shallow. Do not get me wrong I never felt lost as to why any of these characters were doing something but it may have been the shallowest of motivations. Unfortunately Storm, Angel and Psylocke are almost entirely throw away characters. Seems somewhat par for the course in most movies as of late. Another major issue is the story bounces around quite a bit, it was not an issue for me but I could see others taking issue with it. Another I guess gripe we shall call it is that we jump another ten years and while they do a good job of showing that there has been a passage of time and characters are at different points , the actors do not seem to have aged that much. I get it the actors have not aged ten years since first class in reality let alone the twenty years that passed in the movies? I do not feel that in another fifteen years James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender will be Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. I do not really have an answer to solve this issue nor does it ruin the cinematic experience for me but it does irk me.
  As for what I did enjoy first and foremost Michael Fassbender is always a joy to watch as Magneto. I really do hope he can continue with the role maybe get a solo movie? We get many nice character moments with him, we see that in the past ten years he has gone into hiding , started a family and reintegrated with the homo sapiens, We all know that things can not stay good forever for Magneto and his true identity gets revealed which leads to the death of this family. He then embraces his anger and pain and joins forces with Apocalypse. I quite enjoyed his story arc and was a highlight of the movie for me. Quicksilver his son was another shinning moment in the movie he gets two great scenes much like the one in DOFP, I would say they almost make the movie worth seeing on their own.
  As I mentioned earlier Sophie Turner did a great job playing Jean and we get to see some great moments of the Phoenix Force at work. She struggles with her powers for most of the movie and lets loose right at the end, it just reminds you how powerful she really can be. Hugh Jackman's cameo or scene whatever you consider it was great, we get to see him in the comic Weapon X get up going on a rampage. I would say this was the most vicious we have seen him on film and it was great. It makes me sad that we only have one movie left with him but if this is a taste of whats to come I can not wait.
  I guess the only other character I really want to talk about is Apocalypse himself. Oscar Isaac does a great job of bringing this character to life, he may be a bit different than people expect. I was waiting for him to sound like the Apocalypse from the 90's, this performance of him is very different. He is not massive like he is sometimes portrayed and he has a voice that changes depending on the scene. Sometimes his voice become layered , it basically sounds like Isaac recorded several different takes of the line and then they are all put together with an effect. I quite liked what they did with him and Apocalypse came off as that ancient being that commands respect.
  That is pretty much my cluttered thoughts and unfiltered on the movie. I did not want to go plot beat by plot beat  just talk about specific things. If you would rather that let me know. I am still new to doing this so any criticism is welcomed. So let me know what you thought of the movie if you have seen it or if you plan to go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment